Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Nana

We were able to make a trip to Boise last weekend to visit Nana in the hospital. On our initial visit, it made me smile to see her out of bed and in the common room eating lunch. She made it clear that she hated her chicken but loved her chocolate milkshake! She was doodling a bit on a piece of paper but no full words seemed to come together for her besides her name. I could tell that she was trying very hard to formulate thoughts and either speak or write them, but they would just get lost somewhere. I felt her frustration and discouragement.

On Saturday, out of the blue, she said “Hey Jod” to Aunt Jody like it was no big deal. But, we all knew it was and were happy to actually hear her say it. Dad was teasing her as usual and she was making all kinds of funny faces.

The WE LOVE YOU NANA banner that Sarah and the girls made is taped to the wall in front of her bed. I hope the banner and the continuous presence of family will give her the courage and strength she needs to recover. She is a strong cookie and her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren need her in their lives for a while longer.

When we had to leave, I gave her a big hug and kisses, told her how much I loved her and that we would see her again soon.

We love you Nan!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nana is doing so much better that she is able to leave the hospital on Sunday and go for a drive. She will also be leaving the hospital soon and moving in with Jody and Del.

Sarah Young said...

I just got off the phone with my mom and she was saying that Nana will get to go home to Jody and Del's permanently. I'm hoping that no matter what happens with her speech and such that she will be able to live out the remainder of her days feeling so very loved by so many! I'm so happy you guys were able to sneak down to Boise and see her!