Saturday, January 31, 2009

Tuscan Turkey Soup

This is a great winter recipe from a local restaurant here in town. Don't let the pumpkin throw you off-- it's delicious! Nice and hearty and easy to make. It's become one of our favorites so I thought I'd share.

Tuscan Turkey Soup
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. chopped celery
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. olive oil
2- 14 1/2 oz. cans chicken broth
2 c. cubed cooked turkey (deli sliced about 1/2 inch thick)
1- 15 oz. can solid pack pumpkin
1- 15 oz. can white kidney or cannelloni beans, well rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried basil
Grated Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)

Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Saute onion, celery and garlic until tender. Stir in the broth and add turkey cubes, pumpkin, beans and seasonings. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let soup reach temperature of 160-170 degrees for best results. Serve with a sprinkling of grated Parmesan.

3 comments:

The Cooks said...

Hi Jen, I don't know if you remember me (one of Jona's friends). I just saw you on Jona's blog and wanted to stop by and say hi. Your little boy is so adorable!! How old is he now?

Steve, Kristine, Cole, Kade said...

That soup sounds delicious! It is almost identical to a soup recipe that Barb just gave me.. and I made it and loved it! Everything except pumpkin.. and I added fresh mushrooms to mine! Yum, yum!

Sarah Young said...

Ooh, that sounds delish! I've been in a culinary funk lately. Maybe this will shake me out of it and get me back in the kitchen!